Thursday 2 August 2007

Onwards and upwards!

Went back to the hospital for a recount yesterday and was relieved to find that my treatment is working. My count is now at 116 (which is about 30% of where it should be) but it's high enough to be generally safe - and a vast improvement on the 11 that it was at last week. So I get to avoid the transfusions - yay!! :)

The only down side is that I am looking at long term steroids - and the side effects are starting to really kick in now - but I can start to reduce the dose from today so they shouldn't get any worse.

My parents have been in a bit of a panic for the last week (it doesn't matter how old you are does it?) and my Mum wanted to come with me yesterday "just in case". I had to point out to her that she hadn't been to a doctors appointment with me for well over 20 years and I didn't think that she really needed to start again now. I thought that I had done a good job of convincing myself that "of course there would be an improvement", but my relief when I saw the results was immense. It's funny how after the event it is easier to admit that I was actually, for the first time in a long time, felling pretty scared about the whole thing.

I think that the hardest bit has been my concern over how my daughter has taken it all. She has always known that there was something ticking along in the background - but this is the first time that I've had a relapse and she's been old enough to understand what's been going on - it must have been quite a shock for her. She is a such a star, and has a wonderful way of lifting my spirits.

Thanks to everyone for the messages of support and offers of help and assistance - they were all very much appreciated. What a lovely bunch of folks you all are!!!

4 comments:

emma said...

glad to hear that you're on the up. Emma.

klahanie said...

Hi Sunseeker-
Really glad to know that your treatment is working. It is such a relief to you and your loving, supportive family.
I wish you well. You are a kind and decent soul. A big cheer for your family. They are stars and you are a star.
Warm wishes klahanie. :-)

purkul said...

sorry to hear you've been having such a lowsey time of it, and i missed the first post so have had the benifit of seeing the more positive post along side it!

glad that everythin is on the up! lets hope the trend continues!

its funny the generational thing isnt it. how the cared for in youth, becomes the care provider with time!

take it easy & concentrate on getting better!

purkul
x

Clare Hill said...

Glad that your count is up. Hope yo feel better than you have recently.